Facilitators: Spencer Melnick, LCSW & Anne Belden, MS, PCC
When: Monday, March 10, 2014
Time: 3:00pm – 7:15pm
Where: Clarion Portland Hotel
CEUs: 2.5 Core Competencies
3:00 – 4:00 Gather, open space networking, resource sharing (coffee, tea, soda)
4:00 – 5:30 Program part I
5:30 – 5:45 Short break – snacks available
5:45 – 6:45 Program part 2
6:45 – 7:15 Food, beverages, networking, feed-back and feed-forward, resource sharing
Applying the Cape Cod Model to Coaching
Facilitated by Spencer Melnick, LCSW & Anne Belden, MS, PCC
This session will provide the conceptual framework and theoretical principles of the Cape Cod Model© Approach to Coaching.
The Cape Cod Model©(CCM) is a uniquely optimistic approach to professional and human development which has the potential to yield dramatic results. Developed over the past 30 years at the Gestalt International Study Center, Wellfleet, MA, the CCM teaches coaches how to develop and implement an optimistic stance as an active approach to coaching for success.
The session will benefit coaches of all levels of training, experience and expertise. Teaching methods will include small group exercises and practice. There will also be a live demonstration of its application with a randomly selected participant.
Participants will leave with an understanding of the underlying principles of the Cape Cod Model©, as well as a practical understanding of coaching from an optimistic stance.
1. Establishing the coaching contract
2. Building a trust in the coaching relationship
3. Identifying existing “Well Developed” competencies
4. Identifying the cost of overused existing competencies
5. Identifying “Less Developed” competencies
6. Experimenting with new behaviors
The Core Competencies that will be addressed include:
- Setting the Foundation:
- Establishing the Coaching Agreement
- Co-Creating the Relationship:
- Establishing Trust and Intimacy
- Communicating Effectively:
- Active listing
- Powerful Questioning
- Facilitating Learning and Results
- Creating Awareness
- Designing Actions
- Planning and Goal Setting
Spencer Melnick, LCSW provides coaching, psychotherapy, training, and organizational consulting to individuals and organizations. His focus is on supporting others to develop personally and professionally, while enhancing their skills and self-awareness. As a trainer and educator, Spencer works with public and private schools, businesses, non-profit organizations, and clinicians. Past topics have included ethical delemmas, communication skills, navigating social challenges, enhancing character strengths, neurology and the therapist/ client relationship, and working with diversity. Spencer uses an experiential teaching model, emphasizing active participation and the use of real life situations. He is a Professional Associate and faculty member of the Gestalt International Study Center on Cape Cod, Massachusetts.
Anne Brennan Belden, MS,PCC, is a coach, speaker and group facilitator. She is passionate about working with women and couples as they navigate family building and parenting, specializing in fertility challenges and adoption. She works with individuals, facilitates groups and speaks on related topics. Anne serves as Board President of Hardy Girls Healthy Women, a Maine research based, non-profit organization empowering girls to drive social change. She has founded and led many non-profit organizations. Anne holds a Master’s degree in Human Development/Family Relations and certified both in Gestalt and Co-Active coaching. She is ICF credentialed, and a Professional Associate of the Gestalt International Study Center on Cape Cod.
Clarion Hotel is conveniently located off of I-295, less than three miles from the Portland International Jetport (PWN) and minutes into downtown Portland.
Driving from the North
- Get on I-295 south
- Take Exit 5B for Maine 22 W/Congress Street and go 0.2 miles
- Take a slight right onto Congress St and get in left hand lane.
- Clarion Hotel will be on your left. It is next to a large Keller Williams building.
Driving from the South
- From I-95 N, get onto I-295 N, follow signs for S Portland/Downtown Portland about 4.0 miles
- Take Exit 5 for ME-22 E for 0.4 miles
- Follow signs for ME-22 W/U.S. 1 Alternate for 0.1 mile
- Keep right at the fork, follow signs for Maine 22/Congress Street and merge onto Fore River Pkwy
- Go 0.4 mile and turn left onto Congress St and get in left hand lane.
- Clarion Hotel will be on your left. It is next to a large Keller Williams building.
Thinking about writing a book? Maybe you’ve been thinking about it for a long time, too, huh? There’s nothing like a vision for what that book will do to help you get motivated. What will that book do for your business, your career, your life? How about the lives of your readers and the community beyond that?
Here are some inspiring examples of just 10 of the benefits of writing a book:
1. Get New Clients and Sell More Products: Within two months of launching Self-Worth To Net Worth, co-author Belinda Rosenblum says she’s seen sales grow steadily for her DIY home study product. The book is also attracting new clients. “My new book is serving as the gateway to open a much-avoided, and much-needed, new conversation about money. The book offers the easy access way in. I’ve been so pleased at how quickly I am seeing a return on investment for this book and how much my audience wanted this resource to help them get started.”
2. Get a High End Job in a Challenging Economy: Anne Moore Burnett, author of Step Ahead of Autism, and Bring Your Book to Life Program graduate, credits her book as being the number one reason for securing a high level job as Executive Director for a national nonprofit at a generous compensation package well above what she’d been earning. Anne told me that when she contacted the organization, they read her book and re-opened the position, despite having picked a finalist. In interviews everyone shared how inspired they were by Step Ahead of Autism. The book spoke to her expertise in a powerful way that an interview just can’t match.
3. Land High Profile Speaking Gigs: Bring Your Book to Life graduate and author of The Generosity Plan, Kathy LeMay gives book-related talks to financial advisors at many of the big banks to educate them about advising their clients on philanthropic investments. The book also leads to many keynote opportunities to nonprofits and corporations alike.
4. Fund Your Research, Non-Profit or Other Endeavors: Dr. Michael Banov, author of Taking Antidepressants credits the book for the increase in funding for his research. In addition, the book’s accessible, conversational style, which was a focus of my work with him, sends the message of a compelling and understandable speaker on the subject–leading to many high profile speaking gigs around the country. Publication led to research funding, keynote speaking and growth of the author’s medical practice.
5. Re-Invent Yourself and Retire from Your Day Job: Nine months after publishing Simply a Woman of Faith, my client Pat Hastings took a leap of faith and retired from her job as a substance abuse counselor. Her book launched her career as speaker, retreat leader, spiritual coach and radio show host.
6. Travel the World: That was Pat Hasting’s dream and she now leads workshops and retreats– based on the subjects in Simply a Woman of Faith–in Bermuda, Hawaii and on cruise ships to exotic destinations like Mayan Ruins.
7. Transform People’s Lives: Back to Pat Hastings: When Pat first came to me, she had no faith in her writing ability and had never learned the tools and skills of compelling writing. Now, she regularly hears from fans to say how much they loved her writing and that her book, “changed my life.” The Creativity Cure by Drs. Carrie and Alton Barron – featured recently in Parade, Allure and The Atlantic Monthly – is another example of a life transforming book. Come to think of it, most of the dozens of books of my clients have that power.
8. Fill Your Seminars: The late Evana Maggiore, author of Fashion Feng Shui: The Power of Dressing with Intention and founder of Fashion Feng ShuiTM, told me that she often heard from someone who found her book online, read it in one sitting and immediately called to sign up for a $3,500 seminar. If you hate sales, your book can do the work for you and many clients are sold before they even call you.
9. Develop Demand for Your Services and Those of People You Train: One of the reasons Evana wrote Fashion Feng Shui was to help develop worldwide demand for her powerful system for dressing with intention. As a result of the book, new clients contacted her from throughout the US, Europe and Australia/New Zealand seeking a trained consultant in their area.
10. Be a Thought Leader and Get National Publicity: When we began working together on her book concept and book proposal, Dr. Ellen Weber Libby said she wanted to write a groundbreaking psychotherapy book that would affect national discourse and help people realize the importance of the phenomenon of The Favorite Child, the title of her book. Not only has she raised awareness of The Favorite Child Syndrome nationally on the CBS Early Show and through her blogs on Psychology Today and The Huffington Post, but she’s been on top morning shows in South America and Australia, going way beyond our borders and reaching people well beyond what she initially imagined.
About the Author:
Stevie-Award winning book writing coach Lisa Tener helps authors write their nonfiction/how-to books and get published. Her book-coaching clients have gotten 5-and 6- figure book deals with Random House, Simon & Schuster, Hay House, Scribner, Beyond Words and many other top publishers and been featured on The Today Show, Oprah, CBS Early Show, Good Morning America and more.
Lisa serves on the faculty of the Harvard Medical School CME publishing course and blogs for the Huffington Post on book writing and publishing. She has received three American Business Awards including a Gold Stevie for 2012 Marketer of the Year in Media and her Bring Your Book to Life Program won the Silver Stevie for Best New Product of the Year in Media 2012.
Presenter: Denise Hedges
Teleclass: Wednesday, June 5, 2013
7pm – 8pm EST
CCEU’s: 1.0 Resource Development
Do you struggle with sales and marketing, unsure if you’re taking the “right” actions, ones that are guaranteed to build your business?
Have you ever wished somebody could just tell you, step by step, exactly how to build a thriving practice?
In this powerful, interactive presentation, you’ll discover the essential steps in Denise’s business-building system that thousands of coaches and other professionals have used to successfully build and maintain a thriving business.
You will learn:
- How to distinguish yourself from the crowd in the marketplace.
- The specific marketing strategies that are guaranteed to produce the greatest results, so you stop wasting time and start generating more clients, customers, and profit.
- To SERVE your clients so you never again have to worry about SELLING them.
Our system is proven and time-tested. If you follow it, you will grow your business. Guaranteed.
About the Presenter:
Denise Hedges is a business development coach and marketing strategist with over 25 years experience in sales and marketing. As the co-founder of Business BreakThrough Institute, she has created the world’s foremost attraction-based sales and marketing system. Denise specializes in working with coaches, helping them move past any doubt or uncertainty about sales and marketing, attract more clients, and make more money!
Denise is a Professional Certified Coach and a member of the Coach University Faculty, training personal and business coaches all over the world.